How to Plan for Different Types of Homework
When it comes to learning, there is nothing like a cast-in-stone approach to it. Different people have their own way and strategies work for them. The same applies to doing homework. Having to do homework almost every night is a huge responsibility, but the irony is that the process also makes you responsible. Take-home assignments teach students life essential skills like time management, working independently, and getting things done. However, the main benefit of it is to reinforce learning.
According to the US Department of Education, there are four main types of homework. These include practice, preparatory, integration, and extension homework.
Practice homework is the most standard type assigned by teachers. It aims to reinforce classroom learning while helping students acquire or master a particular skill. Therefore, this kind of homework demands students to keep practicing until they are successful. To be successful in this kind of task, children must:
- Grab all the necessary skills to be used in solving complex problems
- When you get a question wrong, try to go over it again to learn from your mistakes
- See homework, not as a burden but a necessity
- Get to know why some particular steps are taken in solving problem, especially in math
This type of assignment prepares students for the next topic to be treated in the next class. Students are assigned to read on a topic or particular pages in study materials before discussing it in class. Children given such assignments should:
- Record all the important points in the reading materials
- List down confusing points and questions to be asked in class
An extension homework enables teachers to test students’ understanding of what they’ve already learned. Students are made to apply already acquired knowledge of different things. In doing this, students should be
- Look for diverse ways of solving problems, including the use of textbooks and other course materials.
- Approach the questions from different angles using all means possible to come up with answers.
In this type of assignment, students are supposed to use different methods/approaches in obtaining answers to a single question. This is mostly used in larger projects. If given such assignments, you should:
- Research into the topic and keep a note of all important information
- Be effective in adopting workable plans and strategies with set out target
How to be productive in doing homework
Find a serene place
To achieve the best of focus and productivity, you should have a serene environment for doing homework. The place should be free from distraction and external intrusions.
Everyone has a particular time they can grab and process information. Know the time you are more productive and always do homework at that time.
Plan your homework
Before putting pen on paper, you should have a clear plan for executing your assignment. List the work in order of priority and submission time. Also, do the most difficult tasks first before attempting easier ones. This prevents frustrations and later procrastination in doing homework.